©1999-2018 Sherton English - Todos los derechos reservados. - http://www.shertonenglish.com
Expresiones y frases - Letra C
Idioms - Letter C
|can of worms||problema peliagudo|
|carrot-and-stick||política de incentivos y amenazas|
|cash on the barrelhead||dinero contante y sonante|
|cast in the same mould||cortados por la misma tijera|
- The new party has thousands of camp followers all over the country.
- The new teacher soon found out that handling a fifth grade is a can of worms.
- Are you sure they're not twins? They're a carbon copy of each other!
- The boss turned to a carrot-and-stick policy: we work extra hours, he pays us double.
- In order to buy the house we have to pay a $5,000 safety deposit, cash on the barrelhead.
- My mum used to say that men are cast in the same mould.
|castles in the air||castillos en el aire|
|chain reaction||efecto dominó|
|chain smoker||fumador empedernido|
|change of heart/life/pace||cambio de opinión/vida/ritmo|
|charmed life||vida afortunada|
|cheap at half the price!||¡una ganga!|
- Joe says he's going to be the CEO of the company but I think it's all castles in the air.
- It was like a huge chain reaction: the children got sick, then the mother, and then the ret of the family.
- My dad was a chain smoker; he used to smoke up to three packs of cigarettes a day.
- I know I said I didn't want to go, but I've had a change of heart and now I want to come.
- Tim daydreams of living the charmed life of the rich and famous.
- Can you believe I bought this purse at $50? Cheap at half the price!
|cheap shot||golpe bajo|
|checks and balances||control y equilibrio de poderes|
|cheek by jowl||uno junto al otro|
|chief cook and bottlewasher||mandadero|
|child's play||juego de niños|
|chilled to the bone||congelado|
- I know you don't like her, but telling Bob's girlfriend she had put on a ton of weight was a cheap shot.
- The school has a system of checks and balances to guarantee the authorities do their work.
- The bus was so crowded that the passengers were all cheek by jowl.
- My mum is down with the flu so my dad is chief cook and bottlewasher these days.
- Going hunting and handling a gun isn't child's play, you know?
- I've been waiting for the bus for hours in the cold rain, I'm chilled to the bone!
|clean bill of health||visto bueno|
|close, but no cigar||casi|
|cock-and-bull story||cuento chino|
|cock of the walk||el dueño del mundo|
|cold shower||ducha fría|
|cold snap||ola de frío|
- I had to inspect lots of cars and give them a clean bill of health.
- You said that Kate was in love with Ben? Close, but no cigar. She's in love with his brother!
- All right, I'll let you explain, but don't give me a cock-and-bull story!
- Paul thinks he's the best. He's always acting as if he were the cock of the walk.
- Johnny Depp is so hot! Every time I see his movies I have to take a cold shower!
- We went camping last summer but there was a sudden cold snap, we were freezing!
|cold turkey||síndrome de abstinencia|
|comings and goings||idas y venidas|
|common ground||puntos en común|
|common sense||sentido común|
|conspicuous by its absence||brillar por su ausencia|
|conventional wisdom||opinión ortodoxa|
- When a drug addict stops taking drugs, he goes cold turkey.
- The doorman has to watch all the comings and goings in the building.
- I know we seldom see eye to eye but we need to find some common ground if we're going to work together.
- Some people get married too young and lack the common sense to realize how serious marriage is.
- The mother of the bride wasn't at the wedding; she was conspicuous by her absence.
- I don't believe in the conventional wisdom that men are better than women at some activities.
|conversation piece||tema de conversación|
|corridors of power||altas esferas de poder|
|cream of the crop||la flor y nata|
|creature comforts||bienestar material|
|credibility gap||margen de credibilidad|
|crocodile tears||lágrimas de cocodrilo|
- Becky's trip to India was the conversation piece at last night's party.
- When Charles was elected Senator, he got access to the corridors of power.
- Lord and Lady Darcy belong to the English aristocracy, the cream of the crop.
- Andy's living in the country, away from everything and without any creature comforts.
- I don't believe Sarah's story. There's a credibility gap between us.
- Mary is such a liar. Surely, you didn't believe her crocodile tears.
|culture shock||choque de culturas|
|culture vulture||devorador de cultura|
|cup of tea||santo de su devoción|
- There was a huge culture shock between the Spanish and the indians during the Conquest.
- Henry loves literature, music, the theater; he's a real culture vulture.
- Hip-hop isn't exactly my cup of tea. I prefer rock 'n' roll.