El tiempo Past Perfect responde a la pregunta: What had happened? = ¿Qué había pasado? o What had been happening? = ¿Qué había estado pasando?. Se forma: Sujeto + had + verbo en participio (I had worked). Sujeto + had + been + verbo en progresivo (I had been working).
| 1. Present
I am working
| 2. Present perfect
I have worked
I have been working
| 3. Past
I was working
| 4. Past perfect
I had worked
I had been working
| 5. Future
I will work
I will be working
| 6. Future perfect
I will have worked
I will have been working
| 7. Future (going to)
I am going to work
I am going to be working
| 8. Future perfect (going to)
I am going to have worked
I am going to have been working
| 9. Future in past
I was going to work
I was going to be working
|10. Future perfect in past
I was going to have worked
I was going to have been working
I would work
I would be working
|12. Conditional perfect
I would have worked
I would have been working
I (can, could, ...) work
I (can, could, ...) be working
|14. Modals + have
I (can, could, ...) have worked
I (can, could, ...) have been working
Past PerfectWhat had happened? - ¿Qué había pasado?
I had worked - Había trabajado
- When John got off the train, he realized that someone had stolen his wallet.
Cuando John se bajó del tren, se dió cuenta de que alguien le había robado su billetera.
- Jane did not go to the movies because she had seen the film twice.
Jane no fue al cine porque había visto la película dos veces.
- When I got to the party, Kevin was not there. He had already left.
Cuando llegué a la fiesta, Kevin no estaba allí. Ya se había ido.
- Peter had sent Alison some flowers before he went to visit her.
Peter le había enviado flores a Alison antes de ir a visitarla.
- Mr. Smith had made hotel reservations before he traveled to Spain
El Sr. Smith había hecho reservas de hotel antes de viajar a España.
- The teacher soon realized I had not studied the lesson.
La profesora pronto se dió cuenta de que yo no había estudiado la lección.
- My sister had never been to a concert before last night.
Mi hermana nunca había estado en un concierto hasta anoche.
- Had the plane already departed when you arrived at the airport?
¿Había ya partido el avión cuando llegaste al aeropuerto?
- Had you lived in Liverpool before you settled in London?
¿Habías vivido en Liverpool antes de que te establecieras en Londres.
Past Perfect ContinuousWhat had been happening? - ¿Qué había estado pasando?
I had been working - Había estado trabajando
- Ralph had been driving for hours when he finally stopped to rest.
Ralph había estado manejando durante horas cuando finalmente se detuvo a descansar.
- The children were out of breath because they had been running.
Los niños estaban sin aliento porque habían estado corriendo.
- Tim had been living in that house for decades before he moved out.
Tim había estado viviendo en esa casa por décadas antes de mudarse de allí.
- Susan told me she had not been sleeping well lately.
Susan me dijo que no había estado durmiendo bien últimamente .
- Had the children been watching TV before their mother got home?
¿Los niños habían estado mirando la televisión antes de que su madre llegara a casa?