El tiempo Past (pasado) responde a la pregunta: What happened? = ¿Qué pasó/pasaba? o What was happening? = ¿Qué estuvo/estaba pasando?. Se forma: Sujeto + verbo en pasado (I worked). Sujeto + was/were + verbo en progresivo (I was working).
| 1. Present
I am working
| 2. Present perfect
I have worked
I have been working
| 3. Past
I was working
| 4. Past perfect
I had worked
I had been working
| 5. Future
I will work
I will be working
| 6. Future perfect
I will have worked
I will have been working
| 7. Future (going to)
I am going to work
I am going to be working
| 8. Future perfect (going to)
I am going to have worked
I am going to have been working
| 9. Future in past
I was going to work
I was going to be working
|10. Future perfect in past
I was going to have worked
I was going to have been working
I would work
I would be working
|12. Conditional perfect
I would have worked
I would have been working
I (can, could, ...) work
I (can, could, ...) be working
|14. Modals + have
I (can, could, ...) have worked
I (can, could, ...) have been working
Past SimpleWhat happened? - ¿Qué pasó?
I worked - Trabajé / Trabajaba
- I lost my keys yesterday.
Ayer perdí las llaves.
- It rained last night.
- My neighbors bought a new car.
Mis vecinos se compraron un auto nuevo.
- Mr. Smith died two weeks ago.
El Sr. Smith falleció hace dos semanas.
- Susan sold her house last month.
Susan vendió su casa el mes pasado.
- Her kids did not go to school the day before yesterday.
Sus hijos no concurrieron a la escuela antes de ayer.
- Ted did not pass the exam.
Ted no pasó el examen.
- Did you see Jane yesterday?
¿Viste a Jane ayer?
- Where did they go on vacation?
¿Dónde fueron de vacaciones?
Past Simple ContinuousWhat was happening? - ¿Qué estuvo/estaba pasando?
I was working - Estuve/estaba trabajando
- Grace was taking a shower when the phone rang.
Grace estaba duchándose cuando sonó el teléfono.
- While we were walking down the street, we saw Mrs. Pierce.
Mientras estaban caminando por la calle, vieron a la Sra. Pierce.
- The baby was crying while her mother was preparing breakfast.
El bebé estaba llorando mientras su mamá estaba preparando el desayuno.
- The employee was not doing his job when his boss arrived.
El empleado no estaba haciendo su trabajo cuando llegó su jefe.
- They were not driving carefully when they had the accident.
Ellos no estaban manejando con cuidado cuando tuvieron el accidente.
- What was Henry doing at midday?
¿Qué estaba haciendo Henry al mediodía?
- Were your friends playing in the park when it began to drizzle?
¿Tus amigos estaban jugando en el parque cuando comenzó a lloviznar?