Expresiones con verbos claves - Verbo "to beat"
Idioms with key verbs - Verb "to beat"
|to beat around/about the bush
||andarse con rodeos
|to beat someone hollow/black and blue
||darle una tremenda paliza a alguien
|to beat someone to a pulp
||hacer papilla a alguien
|to beat someone to within an inch of their life
||moler a alguien a palos
|to beat the bushes for something
||buscar algo por todas partes
- Andrew, stop beating around the bush and tell me what happened to Carl!
- The next time he provokes me I'll beat him hollow!
- Tyson beat his opponent to a pulp in the first round last night.
- Mike's in hospital, a gang of hooligans beat him to within an inch of his life on Sunday.
- Have you seen my purse? I've beaten the bushes for it but I can't find it!
|to beat the drum (for)
||pregonar con bombos y platillos
|to beat the rap
|to beat swords into ploughshares
||forjar de las espadas azadones
|to beat your brains out
||estrujarse el cerebro
- The whole government has been beating the drum for the reform.
- Most criminals beat the rap nowadays. It's terrible.
- We must stop this war and beat swords into ploughshares for the benefit of our country.
- I've been beating my brains out but I can't find a reasonable explanation for it!