Lista de expresiones - Letra C
List of idioms - Letter C
|Expresión en inglés
|can of worms
||política de incentivos y amenazas
|cash on the barrelhead
||dinero contante y sonante
|cast in the same mould
||cortados por la misma tijera
- The new party has thousands of camp followers all over the country.
- The new teacher soon found out that handling a fifth grade is a can of worms.
- Are you sure they're not twins? They're a carbon copy of each other!
- The boss turned to a carrot-and-stick policy: we work extra hours, he pays us double.
- In order to buy the house we have to pay a $5,000 safety deposit, cash on the barrelhead.
- My mum used to say that men are cast in the same mould.
|castles in the air
||castillos en el aire
|change of heart/life/pace
||cambio de opinión/vida/ritmo
|cheap at half the price!
- Joe says he's going to be the CEO of the company but I think it's all castles in the air.
- It was like a huge chain reaction: the children got sick, then the mother, and then the ret of the family.
- My dad was a chain smoker; he used to smoke up to three packs of cigarettes a day.
- I know I said I didn't want to go, but I've had a change of heart and now I want to come.
- Tim daydreams of living the charmed life of the rich and famous.
- Can you believe I bought this purse at $50? Cheap at half the price!
|checks and balances
||control y equilibrio de poderes
|cheek by jowl
||uno junto al otro
|chief cook and bottlewasher
||juego de niños
|chilled to the bone
- I know you don't like her, but telling Bob's girlfriend she had put on a ton of weight was a cheap shot.
- The school has a system of checks and balances to guarantee the authorities do their work.
- The bus was so crowded that the passengers were all cheek by jowl.
- My mum is down with the flu so my dad is chief cook and bottlewasher these days.
- Going hunting and handling a gun isn't child's play, you know?
- I've been waiting for the bus for hours in the cold rain, I'm chilled to the bone!
|clean bill of health
|close, but no cigar
|cock of the walk
||el dueño del mundo
||ola de frío
- I had to inspect lots of cars and give them a clean bill of health.
- You said that Kate was in love with Ben? Close, but no cigar. She's in love with his brother!
- All right, I'll let you explain, but don't give me a cock-and-bull story!
- Paul thinks he's the best. He's always acting as if he were the cock of the walk.
- Johnny Depp is so hot! Every time I see his movies I have to take a cold shower!
- We went camping last summer but there was a sudden cold snap, we were freezing!
||síndrome de abstinencia
|comings and goings
||idas y venidas
||puntos en común
|conspicuous by its absence
||brillar por su ausencia
- When a drug addict stops taking drugs, he goes cold turkey.
- The doorman has to watch all the comings and goings in the building.
- I know we seldom see eye to eye but we need to find some common ground if we're going to work together.
- Some people get married too young and lack the common sense to realize how serious marriage is.
- The mother of the bride wasn't at the wedding; she was conspicuous by her absence.
- I don't believe in the conventional wisdom that men are better than women at some activities.
||tema de conversación
|corridors of power
||altas esferas de poder
|cream of the crop
||la flor y nata
||margen de credibilidad
||lágrimas de cocodrilo
- Becky's trip to India was the conversation piece at last night's party.
- When Charles was elected Senator, he got access to the corridors of power.
- Lord and Lady Darcy belong to the English aristocracy, the cream of the crop.
- Andy's living in the country, away from everything and without any creature comforts.
- I don't believe Sarah's story. There's a credibility gap between us.
- Mary is such a liar. Surely, you didn't believe her crocodile tears.
||choque de culturas
||devorador de cultura
|cup of tea
||santo de su devoción
- There was a huge culture shock between the Spanish and the indians during the Conquest.
- Henry loves literature, music, the theater; he's a real culture vulture.
- Hip-hop isn't exactly my cup of tea. I prefer rock 'n' roll.