Lista de expresiones - Letra F
List of idioms - Letter F
|fair and square
||con todas las de la ley
|fair to middling
||amigo sólo en las buenas
- Of course I didn't cheat to win the game! I won it fair and square!
- So, you don't want to stay here. Fair enough, but where will you go?
- Celebrities are often fair game for the press and the media.
- Kicking a player from the opposite team in the leg isn't exactly fair play, you know?
- Mary can speak Spanish fluently, but her Portuguese is fair to middling.
- Where is Joe now that I need him? He's just a fair-weather friend...
|famous last words!
|far be it from me to...
||no es que yo quiera...
- I wish I had a fairy godmother to make all my problems go away...
- The bomb threat at the shopping mall was nothing but a false alarm.
- You'll only get a false economy if you buy that cheap washing machine.
- After a few false starts, we could finally launch the new product.
- He told me he was with his mother. Famous last words! He was at a bar with his friends!
- Far be it from me to tell you not to buy that house, but think of the price...
|fast and furious
||a un ritmo vertiginoso
|few and far between
||contados con los dedos de una mano
|figment of one's imagination
||producto de la imaginación
||forrado en dinero
- Dave loves those fast and furious action films. His favourite movie is 'Die Hard'.
- Do you think my dad will ever lend me the car? Ha! Fat chance!
- Mark got into a fender bender last Tuesday but no one got hurt.
- My parents had their quarrels but they were few and far between.
- I thought I'd heard some steps but it was just a figment of my imagination.
- Patrick inherited a very large fortune from his grandfather and now he's filthy rich.
||el que lo encuentra se lo queda
|first and foremost
|first come, first served
||por orden de llegada
|first things first
||primero lo más importante
|fit to be tied
||fuera de sí
||en la ruina
- No way I'm giving you the scarf! I found it! Finders, keepers!
- First and foremost, I'd like to thank you all for coming tonight.
- They're giving away tickets on a first-come, first-served basis at the record store.
- First things first: how is your father? Is he getting better?
- Amy was fit to be tied when Greg broke up with her.
- Due to his constant betting, Josh is flat broke.
|flesh and blood
||de carne y hueso
|flotsam and jetsam
|food for thought
||dar que pensar
|footloose and fancy-free
||soltero y sin compromiso
||el fruto prohibido
|forewarned is forearmed
||hombre prevenido vale por dos
|full of beans
||lleno de energía
- I may seem insensitive, but what you said hurt me. I am flesh and blood.
- The government still don't know how to help the flotsam and jetsam of society.
- That documentary on global warming really gives you food for thought.
- When you're footloose and fancy-free you go out every night; try it, it's wonderful!
- My mom never let us eat chocolate when we were kids. It was our forbidden fruit.
- Children are full of beans nowadays. It must be all the sugar they eat.
|full of piss and vinegar
||lleno de energía
|full steam ahead
||a todo vapor
- James is full of piss and vinegar now. That nap he took was all he needed.
- Once everything is ready to open our business, it'll be full steam ahead.
- I know Tom, he's been acting very strange lately. He's into funny business.
- Many officials from the previous administration were charged with passing funny money.