Lista de expresiones - Letra S
List of idioms - Letter S
|safe and sound
||sano y salvo
|same old story
||lo mismo de siempre
|second to none
||superior a todo
|short and sweet
||cortito y conciso
- All this sabre-rattling between the two countries will only lead to a war.
- It was late at night and pouring but we managed to get home safe and sound.
- Mark and Stacey broke up again. It's always the same old story: she's jealous of his friends!
- I won't settle for second best! I want the best house in the neighborhood!
- That restaurant really is second to none: great service, great food, great atmosphere...
- All right, then, the meeting will be short and sweet, so let's start right away.
|shoulder to shoulder
||codo a codo
|sick and tired
||hasta la coronilla
|signed, sealed and delivered
||con todas las de la ley
|six feet under
||a tres metros bajo tierra
|six of one and half a dozen of the other
||da lo mismo
|sleight of hand
|smack-dab in the middle
||justo en el centro
- We are all working shoulder to shoulder to find a solution to the problem.
- I'm moving to the countryside, I'm so sick and tired of the city. Always rushing!
- We will have the contract signed, sealed and delivered tomorrow morning.
- He's trying to kill me! I know it! He won't rest until I'm six feet under!
- We can go tonight or we can go tomorrow. It's six of one and half a dozen of the other.
- The magician took a handkerchief and with a sleight of hand he turned it into a bunch of flowers.
- There was a deer smack-dab in the middle of the road and I hit the brakes.
||cosas sin importancia
||por pura envidia
|still wet behind the ears
||demasiado joven e inexperto
|straight from the horse's mouth
||de buena fuente
|straight from the shoulder
|sword of Damocles
||espada de Damocles
- Failing an exam is small beer compared to being expelled from school.
- The grocery stores are small fry compared to the the big supermarkets.
- Sally's cutting remarks are just sour grapes because she can't find a boyfriend.
- When I graduated from Law school I felt still wet behind the ears to start my own business.
- Jen's moving in with her boyfriend. I heard it straight from the horses mouth.
- I couldn't believe it! He told me "I love you", straight from the shoulder!
- Living illegally in a country is like having a sword of Damocles hanging over your head.