©1999-2018 Sherton English - Todos los derechos reservados. - https://www.shertonenglish.com
Expresiones y frases - Letra D
Idioms - Letter D
|dark horse||ganador sorpresa, enigma|
|davy Jones's locker||el fondo del mar|
|day in, day out||todos los días|
|day to day||día a día|
|daylight robbery||robo a mano armada|
|dead and buried||lo pasado, pisado|
- Did you know that Eva speaks five languages and sings opera? She's quite a dark horse!
- The Titanic sank in 1912 and it has been in Davy Jones's locker since then.
- I'm quitting my job. I'm tired of putting up with rude customers day in day out.
- She was in a terrible car crash but her condition's improving day to day.
- $400 for a sweater?! That's daylight robbery!
- Mark and Dave had a huge argument some years ago, but that's all dead and buried now.
|dead from the neck up||no tener dos dedos de frente|
|dead on one's feet||muertos de cansancio|
|dead to the world||profundamente dormido|
|deep down||en el fondo|
|devil's advocate||abogado del diablo|
- Bill must be dead from the neck up: I asked him how he was but he just stared at me smiling.
- I've been walking for three hours! I'm dead on my feet!
- Al came home exhausted and went to sleep. He hasn't woken up yet. He's dead to the world.
- Earl might seem like a tough guy, but deep down he's really sweet.
- Tom's devil-may-care attitude may cost him his job.
- I'll just have to play devil's advocate: have you thought of the effect the divorce will have on the kids?
|diamond in the rough||diamante en bruto|
|dirt cheap||una ganga|
|dog days of summer||la canícula|
|dog's life||vida de perros|
|dollars to donuts||seguro|
|done deal||asunto cerrado|
- Luke seems a rough diamond when you first meet him, but as you get to know him you find he's charming.
- It's winter sales season, everything's dirt cheap.
- I hate the dog days of summer! It's just too hot to do anything!
- Many immigrants in this country have a dog's life.
- I bet dollars to donuts the Bulls will win.
- Don't worry about your promotion; it's a done deal.
|double Dutch||chino básico|
|duck soup||pan comido|
- I've been working for twelve hours, I'm absolutely done in!
- I don't understand Physics. It's all double Dutch to me!
- I've always been a bit of a doubting Thomas. I need to see in order to believe.
- The test was duck soup. I did it in les than half an hour.