©1999-2021 Sherton English - Todos los derechos reservados. - https://www.shertonenglish.com
Expresiones y frases - Letra F
Idioms - Letter F
|fair and square||con todas las de la ley|
|fair enough||está bien|
|fair game||presa fácil|
|fair play||juego limpio|
|fair to middling||regular|
|fair-weather friend||amigo sólo en las buenas|
- Of course I didn't cheat to win the game! I won it fair and square!
- So, you don't want to stay here. Fair enough, but where will you go?
- Celebrities are often fair game for the press and the media.
- Kicking a player from the opposite team in the leg isn't exactly fair play, you know?
- Mary can speak Spanish fluently, but her Portuguese is fair to middling.
- Where is Joe now that I need him? He's just a fair-weather friend...
|fairy godmother||hada madrina|
|false alarm||falsa alamra|
|false economy||falso ahorro|
|false start||intento fallido|
|famous last words!||¡sí, claro!|
|far be it from me to...||no es que yo quiera...|
- I wish I had a fairy godmother to make all my problems go away...
- The bomb threat at the shopping mall was nothing but a false alarm.
- You'll only get a false economy if you buy that cheap washing machine.
- After a few false starts, we could finally launch the new product.
- He told me he was with his mother. Famous last words! He was at a bar with his friends!
- Far be it from me to tell you not to buy that house, but think of the price...
|fast and furious||a un ritmo vertiginoso|
|fat chance!||¡ni soñarlo!|
|few and far between||contados con los dedos de una mano|
|figment of one's imagination||producto de la imaginación|
|filthy rich||forrado en dinero|
- Dave loves those fast and furious action films. His favourite movie is 'Die Hard'.
- Do you think my dad will ever lend me the car? Ha! Fat chance!
- Mark got into a fender bender last Tuesday but no one got hurt.
- My parents had their quarrels but they were few and far between.
- I thought I'd heard some steps but it was just a figment of my imagination.
- Patrick inherited a very large fortune from his grandfather and now he's filthy rich.
|finders, keepers||el que lo encuentra se lo queda|
|first and foremost||ante todo|
|first come, first served||por orden de llegada|
|first things first||primero lo más importante|
|fit to be tied||fuera de sí|
|flat broke||en la ruina|
- No way I'm giving you the scarf! I found it! Finders, keepers!
- First and foremost, I'd like to thank you all for coming tonight.
- They're giving away tickets on a first-come, first-served basis at the record store.
- First things first: how is your father? Is he getting better?
- Amy was fit to be tied when Greg broke up with her.
- Due to his constant betting, Josh is flat broke.
|flesh and blood||de carne y hueso|
|flotsam and jetsam||los marginados|
|food for thought||dar que pensar|
|footloose and fancy-free||soltero y sin compromiso|
|forbidden fruit||el fruto prohibido|
|forewarned is forearmed||hombre prevenido vale por dos|
|full of beans||lleno de energía|
- I may seem insensitive, but what you said hurt me. I am flesh and blood.
- The government still don't know how to help the flotsam and jetsam of society.
- That documentary on global warming really gives you food for thought.
- When you're footloose and fancy-free you go out every night; try it, it's wonderful!
- My mom never let us eat chocolate when we were kids. It was our forbidden fruit.
- Children are full of beans nowadays. It must be all the sugar they eat.
|full of piss and vinegar||lleno de energía|
|full steam ahead||a todo vapor|
|funny business||cosas raras|
|funny money||dinero sucio|
- James is full of piss and vinegar now. That nap he took was all he needed.
- Once everything is ready to open our business, it'll be full steam ahead.
- I know Tom, he's been acting very strange lately. He's into funny business.
- Many officials from the previous administration were charged with passing funny money.