©1999-2019 Sherton English - Todos los derechos reservados. - https://www.shertonenglish.com
Expresiones y frases - Palabra clave 'By'
Idioms - Key word 'By'
|by a hair||por un pelo|
|by all accounts||al decir de todos|
|by all means||por supuesto|
|by and by||pronto, en seguida|
|by and large||en términos generales|
|by any means||por cualquier medio|
- It was an exciting race. We won it by a hair, I thought we'd come in the second place!
- By all accounts, The Beatles are one of the most important rock 'n' roll bands in history.
- Do you want an apple? By all means, take as many as you wish!
- These shirts may be fashionable nowadays but by and by no one will wear them anymore.
- By and large, the immigration in the country came from Spain and Italy.
- Chuck's determined to get that job by any means.
|by chance||por casualidad|
|by coincidence||por coincidencia|
|by dint of||a fuerza de|
|by far||por lejos|
|by force of habit||por costumbre|
|by hand||a mano|
- I was walking down High Street and I came across Lucy by chance.
- Paul and I were at the theater last night and we met Joe and Vicky by coincidence.
- You're not going to make your children obey just by dint of beating them.
- London is, by far, the most exciting city I've ever been to.
- I took down the clock from the wall but I keep looking that way by force of habit.
- These leather sandals were completely made by hand. Aren't they gorgeous?
|by heart||de memoria|
|by hook or by crook||por las buenas o por las malas|
|by means of||por medio de|
|by mistake||por equivocación|
|by no means||de ningún modo|
|by reason of||a causa de|
- We have to learn these four poems by heart for next class.
- Tina says she's going to see Oasis in concert by hook or by crook.
- We were able to raise the money by means of a raffle.
- Oh, no! Jack's cell phone is the same as mine and I took his by mistake!
- Going on a job interview is by no means a guarantee of actually getting the job.
- I was absent from the meeting by reason of another engagement.
|by request||por petición|
|by the same token||del mismo modo|
|by the skin of your teeth||por poco, por los pelos|
|by the way||a propósito|
|by virtue of||en virtud de|
|by way of||por vía de|
- The package was delivered at these address by request of Mr. Allen.
- I'm going to work more hours but, by the same token, I'll earn more money.
- The thief was faster and he got away by the skin of his teeth.
- Oh, by the way, don't forget to pick up your suit from the dry cleaner's!
- The concert was postponed by virtue of extreme weather conditions.
- I had to give my old car by way of payment for the new one.