©1999-2022 Sherton English - Todos los derechos reservados. - https://www.shertonenglish.com
Expresiones y frases - Verbo 'To beat'
Idioms - Verb 'To beat'
|to beat around/about the bush||andarse con rodeos|
|to beat someone hollow/black and blue||darle una tremenda paliza a alguien|
|to beat someone to a pulp||hacer papilla a alguien|
|to beat someone to within an inch of their life||moler a alguien a palos|
|to beat the bushes for something||buscar algo por todas partes|
- Andrew, stop beating around the bush and tell me what happened to Carl!
- The next time he provokes me I'll beat him hollow!
- Tyson beat his opponent to a pulp in the first round last night.
- Mike's in hospital, a gang of hooligans beat him to within an inch of his life on Sunday.
- Have you seen my purse? I've beaten the bushes for it but I can't find it!
|to beat the drum (for)||pregonar con bombos y platillos|
|to beat the rap||quedar impune|
|to beat swords into ploughshares||forjar de las espadas azadones|
|to beat your brains out||estrujarse el cerebro|
- The whole government has been beating the drum for the reform.
- Most criminals beat the rap nowadays. It's terrible.
- We must stop this war and beat swords into ploughshares for the benefit of our country.
- I've been beating my brains out but I can't find a reasonable explanation for it!